Complaint Handling Protocol
HTM Insurance is committed to providing customers with exceptional service. If you are not satisfied with the service you have received, we encourage you to give us your feedback through the following Complaint Handling Protocol. We want to ensure that your concerns are handled fairly and efficiently.
STEP 1 – Resolve the problem at the source
When you have a concern, we recommend that you start at the source. Speak to your Account Representative (agent or broker). It is usually quicker and easier to have them help you check the facts and find a solution at the point where the problem occurred.
Gather the Facts
- details of your complaint including your policy and/or claim numbers;
- any supporting documents and important dates; and
- the names of any employees you have dealt with.
STEP 2 – Escalation to a Manager
If your Account Representative is unable to deal with the issue, you are welcome to escalate to the immediate manager of the department most involved. We have the following department managers:
- For an issue with payments and invoices — VP Finance
- For an issue with a claim you have with the company — VP Claims
- For an issue with the way a policy has been sent out or premiums — VP Underwriting
- For an issue with an agent or broker interaction — Distribution Manager
- For an issue with an inspection or building evaluation — VP Loss Prevention
STEP 3 – Escalation to the Complaints Officer
If you remain dissatisfied after speaking to the Manager, you may escalate your concerns to the Complaints Officer for an independent review.
The role of the Complaints Officer is to conduct an independent investigation of your complaint. The objective of this investigation is to examine whether your file was handled fairly and appropriately — in conjunction with HTM Insurance guidelines for liability coverage.
Any complaint escalated to the Complaints Officer must be made in writing. This may be submitted either by email complaints[at]htminsurance[dot]com or by letter.
Please include the following information:
- summary of your complaint; and
- list of all unresolved concerns; and
- the reason you feel your concerns have not been resolved in previous steps; and
- any documentation/information that you would like to have reviewed; and
- what you would like to see happen (your desired outcome).
Please note that the Complaints Officer will not review a complaint that has not gone through the steps listed above, and a written complaint has not been submitted.
What you can expect
The Complaints Officer will work to resolve your complaint in a fair and impartial manner.
For complaints that are not easily resolved or require a full investigation, the Complaints Officer will provide you with a formal written response. A written response is usually completed within 5 business days; however, depending on the complexity of the issues and the caseload, more time may be necessary to complete a thorough review of your file. You will be updated on the progress of your complaint if more time is required.
When the Complaints Officer has reviewed your complaint and provided you with a response, your file will be considered closed. Your file will not be reopened unless you can present new and relevant documentation or information for further consideration.
STEP 4 – Escalation to the President / CEO
If you feel your concern has not been met to your expectations by all the previous steps, you are welcome to escalate to the President/CEO of HTM Insurance. The President/CEO will review the complaint file with you.
STEP 5 – External Resources
If you remain dissatisfied following all of the above steps, you may contact the Insurance Ombudsman at the Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario. There is no charge for their service. You may reach FSRA at:
Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario
25 Sheppard Avenue West, Suite 100
Toronto, ON M2N 6S6
Telephone: (416) 250-7250
Toll Free: 1-800-668-0128
Fax: (416) 590-8480